11 July 2010

my garrulous garden-- plants gab in their own language away from ours.

amidst the blur of busy days and a thankful yesterday of some much-needed rain, i can supplement visitors here with a quick view of my garden. the opportunity always charms my eyes and then, through the yarn-like strips of energy in life stitches, my heart.

a prized eye-scoop here is the now fleeting scene involving a daylily called you are my sunshine. some white salvia finished off in the background.


the bright white of the shasta daisy in booming clusters lulls me in, every time.


most of my hydrangea are persuaded in their soil spots to bloom in blue, but this one screeched lightly in faint purples and lavenders.


and this one spoke clearly petal-wise in blue.


a few black eyed susan are popping up, with some sadly dried out and bleached hosta behind them. i've transplanted some hosta and bartered others, but for some reason, the previous homeowners planted these hosta in full-sun. they need shade. so much work, all around ! in shade, they are pure lovers.


my queen anne's lace fluffed out madly this year. it is a weed, technically, but so are many plants we cherish in our gardens. i planted a single little sprig of queen anne's lace last year, and this is what it looks like now, snow-topped and all.


for a year or two, my trumpet vine barely spread at all. but this spring, it crawled far across my fence line, ants dancing along the orange-soaked petals.


the asiatic lily has so many kinds in its family that i wouldn't know where to begin to describe this one by name, but i'm sure it's out there, if i'd take the time to search for it. the last time my niece lillee grace visited, i walked her around and introduced her to the names of all the flowers in bloom, with this one of course a special almost star-like trailing sweep in the scene.


maurice river queen is another daylily tucked away in my garden.


this somewhat hidden bee had no problem showing his fuzzy butt to the lens of my camera as he worked along the fragrant purple of this butterfly bush.


a true tiger lily, perhaps ? it's in the asiatic family.


the gushing red of cardinal flower is one plant i haven't added to the garden yet. it's still in a pot patiently waiting for me to add it in with the other affectioned ones.


this ruby star coneflower is also in waiting for planting times.


the ones plumping up their persuasion in my garden are similar in color, but i'm not sure which specific kind they are.


the botanical name for coneflower is ecinachea. if it sounds familiar, that's because it's a plant often used in teas and other medicinal endeavors for helping you out when you are dealing with a cold.



for a year or two, i didn't know the name of this weed, but i loved it and added it to my garden. it reminded me of a tiny snapdragon and popcorn by its petals, although its foliage looks much different than the snapdragon. i finally identified it as yellow toadflax.


night embers is the final daylily in my garden aside from some wild tiger lily in a tall patch with the blooms done for the season.


merry plant-love, all !

No comments:

Post a Comment